Thursday 5 July 2012

The community is the key


Linux and all the software around it, it is one of the most challenging and complex enviroment out there.


You know, what is it really hard? Keep all the things working and coordinated.. because you have to deal with many and many problem that proprietary software don't have.
 
It is an enviroment, not ready for all, at least for now, because it needs time... but a route is traced and the key of this enviroment, it is the community around it.

You have feedbacks; there is always someone that watch your work, someone that gives you ideas, for improve your application, and I f*cking love this.


Yesterday, I said that I had finally put the ppa on launchpad... but it was not working correctly.. today I have finally upload a working version.
You can find a version here.

Meanwhile someone (Daniel Holbach) watched the code of my application submission on ubuntu software center, and he found a bug on my licence.. many thanks.


This is such a kind of collaborative env, very hard to find elsewhere.


Protoborsa, new update!

Some minutes ago I uploaded a new version whit these changes:

  * fixed Licence file.:
  * improved company search on add stock.
  * fixed first loading of settings.
  * little changed on thread code for future improvements.

but this version, got a bug (damn!)...the first run fail to copy of a settings file to your homedir/.protoborsa/ directory..
You can manually create this directory and copy the /opt/extras.ubuntu.com/protoborsa/share/protoborsa/db/stocksymbols.db inside it.. or wait for the new version (protoborsa_12.07.5ubuntu5)... that is on the way, and will be downloadable soon.

I would like to improve my application for:
  • better handling of loading chart with thread support and animation while loading
  • toolbar instead of the bottom buttons: this is just for a better UI integration with Unity.
  • try to add unity quicklists
  • add progress while downloading data, on unity icon.
That's all!

3 comments:

  1. awesome I liked the name and I tested (protoborsa_12.07.5ubuntu5_all.deb) and it work great for me although as you mentioned it, it's need a progress while downloading data but on the app window as in unity icon :)
    don't forget to add conform when someone press delete button so they're not delete any company by mistaken.. because that would be more than great for such useful app :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mohammed many thanks!
      Feedback are the best for improvement of this application.

      Do you know where can I find those black icon set that you mention some days ago, to put on the toolbar?
      Or something free and cool as well..

      Delete
    2. Thanks you for this wonderful app, when I mentioned earlier I was mean Monochrome Icons that used on Ubuntu Software Center they look very cool and stylish!
      I found this website have a very cool icons package I hope you like it :)
      http://visionwidget.com/free-iphone-toolbar-icons-sets.html

      Delete